I came for birthday party, didn't know about rave: Sharma


NEW DELHI: India and Pune Warriors cricketer Rahul Sharma Monday refuted allegation that he was present at a rave party at a Mumbai hotel, claiming that he had gone there to attend a birthday celebration.


"I was invited to a birthday party. Wayne Parnell was with me, I did not know that there was a rave party at the hotel," said the spinner, who along with his Pune Warriors teammate, was detained by the police after a raid at the Hotel Oakwoods in Juhu.


"We reached there at around 7 in the evening and all of a sudden within half an hour of us reaching there, the police raid happened. We didn't know what was happening, I asked the police officers and they told me that a raid was in progress," he told reporters.


Sharma said he has been cooperative with the police and claimed that he has never touched alcohol.


"We have cooperated with the police and have even given medical tests. I belong to a simple family and have not even had a beer in my life, where does the question of attending a rave party arise?" he asked.


"I have told everything to the team management and things would be clear once the medical report comes out," he said.
Police detained 96 people after the raid at the hotel late last night.

No comments: